Welcome to the JDPS School Counselor Page
Sarah Skemp- JDPS School Counselor
What does Ms. Skemp do?
- Serves ALL students and helps them be their best
- Conducts classroom lessons aligned to the needs of our students and school culture
- Consults with parents, teachers, and administrators
- Connects families with school and community resources
- Talks with students who have a problem they'd like help solving or have something on their mind they'd like to talk about
- Visits with students who could use care and support from an extra adult
- Facilitates small groups built around shared needs like changing families, grief, anger management, etc
- Counsels (short term-with parent/guardian consent) students individually
- Teaches social skills and coping skills
What is a School Counselor?
A school counselor is a certified educator who helps ALL students succeed. A school counselor designs and delivers a school counseling program that supports students and improves student outcomes.
Calming Room (NEST)
What is the NEST?
It's a place where students are taught tools and strategies to help handle any class, situation, or emotional struggle that comes their way. The NEST is designed to be a positive, calming, and relaxing atmosphere.
Relax in our Virtual Calming Room
Our Virtual Calming Room provides Coloring Pages, Guided Meditation, Yoga, Exercise, Animal Cams, Calming Music, Puzzles, Virtual Games and more!
Click the link below
Zones of Regulation
JDPS is using the Zones of Regulation as a way to help students identify how they feel to develop strategies they can implement to make good choices and be ready for learning. There are no “bad” zones; however, each zone helps students identify what is going on and what strategies can be used to get back to a place of learning.
JPDS students are learning “Blue”, “Green”, “Yellow”, and “Red” zones, with help from Inside Out. (The printable is available on JDPS website, School Counseling tab). It can help children express how they are feeling and increase communication between you and your child, especially when your child may not have the words to adequately express how they feel.
For more information you can go to: zonesofregulation.com.
Zones of Regulation for Parents
Purpose Full People (Character Strong)
Character Trait of the Month
For more information, click on the link below to be directed to the Character Strong website
- May 2023 Counselor Corner newsletter.pdf
- April 2023 Counselor Corner newsletter.pdf
- March 2023 Counselor Corner newsletter.pdf
- Feb 2023 Counselor Corner newsletter.pdf
- Jan 2023 Counselor Corner newsletter.docx.pdf
- Dec 2022 Counselor Corner newsletter.pdf
- Nov 2022 Counselor Corner newsletter.docx.pdf
- Sept 2022 Counselor Corner newsletter.pdf
How do I visit/talk with Ms. Skemp?
Parents and students can
- Let the teacher know you want to see Ms. Skemp
- Visit her before/after school
- See her in Room 46 (Kindergarten Building)
- Call her at 928-348-7245 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment